The original Celtic Chapel on the site of the cottage, with its dedication to St Wardrede the saint by the seaside was probably founded in the sixth century. It would have been a simple isolated hermitage in the sheltered valley, which sweeps down to the sea between steep wooded hills. By AD 1416 it was mentioned in Bishop Stafford’s register as a Chapel of Ease and in Bishop Lacy’s register in 1439 as the Chapel of St Wardred at Legh.
During the dark ages following the reformation, the history of Lee is veiled in obscurity, but the dwelling is mentioned in a manorial document of 1716 as The Chapel in the occupation of Nathaniel Sanders.
Excavation has exposed an ancient well which authorities suggest may have been a holy well dedicated to St Wardred. A Celtic headstone has also been discovered.
There have been many notable visitors to Chapel Cottage over the years, including T.S. Elliot, Sydney Carter, Evelyn and William De Morgan and Anthony Powell. The latter wrote about his stay at Chapel Cottage in his book “Faces in Time”.